Friday 9 October 2009

Herbert and his only girl

(4 of 5) I wandered on then found something strange, I was fully expecting to see Herbert and his girls in their normal spot. But all of his does were scattered all over. In addition to this there was males everywhere, stags were just wandering amongst them without challenge... I have to say I was very worried. I’ve grown quite fond of Herbert and as much as I know these things happen in nature I didn’t want him to have been hurt (damn human side) so I persevered – I wondered deep into the bracken, and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw him on his own with a doe. But only one, and he was a way away from the rest of the herd, looking quite forlorn and restless. A close inspection of his antlers shows that he has a antler point missing so I’m assuming he’s been in a rut recently and its hit his confidence. But at least he lived to tell another day without any other nasty wounds to speak of.

No comments:

Post a Comment